Catch - Pass
- Catch: develop the early catch
- Eyes on ball, reach out
- Big hands, "show ten", slightly bent elbows
- Soft fingers, supple wrists, "quiet hands"
- Keep the ball off the the body unless having to take contact.
- Hips upfield toward try line, shoulders turned facing ball
- Eyes to target. High elbow. Ball above hips. Hips aimed toward try line
- Pass off inside leg, inside is power leg.
- Back hand provides power. Front hand (“rifle hand”) gives direction. Elbows bent, move to full extension on follow through. Front-hand arm is “Rifle” to aim and finish at target. Back hand to push through “aim and shoot.”
- Transfer body weight through core and through the ball finishing aiming at target.
“We do a lot, a lot, a lot of work on trying to get the pass right. Coaches, players this is the most important part of the game of 7s. You have to teach your players how to pass properly. If they can’t pass properly, attacking 7’s—attacking rugby—goes out the window.”
-Mike Friday, USA Men’s National Sevens Team, Head Coach