- Dominant defender in tight situations.
- Push pass under pressure both sides to 5m.
- Low hip height at the ruck / tackle contest. Latching.
- Speed to get back to feet at the ruck / tackle contest.
- Surprisingly agile with ball in hand for size.
- Ability to play both sides of the scrum at the younger stages of LTAD.
- Ability to maintain stable and strong body profile in chaotic environment.
- Problem solving in various binds and techniques.
- Ability to go “long” on a tight-head prop with his/her upper-body.
- Ability to manage a “low” to ground tight-head prop.
- Ability to lift at front and back of jumpers.
- Ability to move quickly from various lifting positions.
- Various roles in attack maul. Drive maul back on defense.
- Able to perform correct technique of all core skills under pressure.
- Right shoulder focus at scrum.
- Ruck entry.
- Connecting with jumper at kickoff & lineout.
Strength & Conditioning
- Maximal and isometric strength
- Repeated anaerobic effort ability
- 5-meter acceleration
- Close-quarters agility
Long-Term Athlete Development
- U16 & Younger: Ball-movement & defending ball-movement
- U18 - U19: Set-Piece & Exits
- 20+: Physicality, vertical, ground-game superiority
- Potentially a flanker not quick enough at age 16 – 19 yrs old.