- Dominant defender in tight situations. Ability to knee cap at ruck.
- Can cover in tight, middle channels, and far channels in the defensive wall (1 – 12 wide of the ruck).
- Push pass under pressure both sides to 5m and spin pass 15m.
- Ability to hit high number of rucks per match.
Makes a physical impact in clear-outs at ruck/ability to move players at the ruck.
- Devastating runner with ball in hand, has the ability to utilize various evasive tools to dominate the contact point to get through gainline.
- Prioritizes pushing strong on scrum before ball is out.
- Good foot to ball skills and handling under pressure.
- Good sense of timing and in sync with scrumhalf.
- Rapid jumping ability from both static and moving positions.
- Excellent catching skills of ball above head. “Soft hands.”
- Strong, stable, and “long” profile in the air.
- Ability to lift at front and back of jumpers.
- Ability to move quickly from various lifting positions.
- Able to perform correct technique of all core skills under pressure.
- Ball carrying ability.
- Aerial expert kickoff & lineout.
- Ruck entry.
- Connected with locks at scrum.
Strength & Conditioning
- Repeated anaerobic effort ability
- Close quarters agility
- 10-20m acceleration
- Vertical jump height
Long-Term Athlete Development
- U16 & Younger: Ball-movement & defending ball-movement
- U18 - U19: Set-Piece & Exits
- 20+: Physicality, vertical, contact superiority
- Potentially a big center or wing who is not quick enough at age 17 – 19.