- Can cover in tight, middle channels, and far channels in the defensive wall (1 – 12 wide of the ruck). Can cover faster backline players in set-piece, phase, and transition play defense.
- Push pass under pressure both sides to 5m and spin pass 15m.
- Low hip height at the ruck / tackle contest. Ability to hit high number of rucks per match. Excellent poaching skills.
- Understands completely the laws of the game at the breakdown and to best manage the referee’s perception of the contact point.
- Decent runner with ball in hand.
- Ability to play both sides of the scrum.
- Ability to maintain stable and strong body profile in chaotic environment.
- Prioritizes pushing strong on scrum before ball is out.
- Decent jumping ability from both static and moving positions.
- Catching skills of ball above head. “Soft hands.”
- Strong, stable profile in the air.
- Ability to lift at front and back of jumpers.
- Ability to move quickly from various lifting positions.
- Able to perform correct technique of all core skills under pressure.
- Ruck entry (CC).
- Ball playing ability.
- Aerial ability kickoff & lineout.
- Connected with prop at scrum.
Strength & Conditioning
- Repeated anaerobic effort ability
- Aerobic endurance
- 10-20m acceleration
- Close quarters agility
Long-Term Athlete Development
- U16 & Younger: Ball-movement & defending ball-movement
- U18 - U19: Set-Piece & Exits
- 20+: Physicality, vertical, ground-game superiority
- Potentially a center or wing who is not quick enough at age 17 – 19.