- Solid defender who can tackle larger athletes in tight situations
- Can cover middle channels, and far channels in the defensive wall (4 – 12 wide of the ruck). Can “sweep” from behind the defensive wall.
- Excellent pass with both hands & no pick-up or back-swing off the ground up to 20 meters. Ability to read both sides of the ruck and move the ball rapidly to best options.
- Decent poaching skills and understanding of when opportunities at the tackle contest present when in the sweep defensive role.
- Can slide and back to feet quickly. Can catch a kick under pressure.
- Ability to work with forwards and hooker on ball feed.
- Ability to connect with No. 8 on distribution from scrum.
- Can attack rapidly off of the scrum.
- Can play the 5 meter channel as well as off the back of the lineout defensively.
- Ability to attack the tight-channels off the back of the lineout.
- Ability to pass up to 20 meters off the lineout.
- Able to perform correct technique of all core skills under pressure.
- All SH passing skill variations.
- All SH kicking variations (box kick, clearance kick, grubber kick).
- Decision making & game understanding abilities.
Strength & Conditioning
- Aerobic endurance
- Close quarters agility
- Repeated effort ability
- 5-20m acceleration
Long-Term Athlete Development
- U14: Develop SH Clearance Pass
- U16 & Younger: Ball-movement & defending ball-movement
- U17 - U19: Kicking & Exits
- 20+: Physicality, contact ability
- Quality communicator, organizer, composed, tough.