- Dominant defender in tight situations. Ability to knee cap at ruck.
- Can cover in both tight and middle channels in the defensive wall (1 – 6 wide of the ruck).
- Push pass under pressure both sides to 5m.
- Ability to hit high number of rucks per match.
- Makes a physical impact in clear-outs at ruck/ability to move players at the ruck.
- Ability to use arm length to destabilize tackler, garner separation, and promote positive ball transfer.
- Ability to play both sides of the scrum.
- Ability to maintain stable and strong body profile in chaotic environment.
- Powerful drive and ability to maintain strength throughout scrum.
- Rapid jumping ability from both static and moving positions.
- Excellent catching skills of ball above head. “Soft hands.”
- Strong, stable, and “long” profile in the air.
- Ability to lift at front and back of jumpers.
- Ability to move quickly from various lifting positions.
- Able to perform correct technique of all core skills under pressure.
- Aerial expert kickoff & lineout.
- Ruck entry.
- Connected with prop & drive at scrum.
Strength & Conditioning
- Repeated anaerobic effort ability
- Maximal and isometric strength
- Vertical jump height
- 5-10m acceleration
Long-Term Athlete Development
- U16 & Younger: Ball-movement & defending ball-movement
- U18 - U19: Set-Piece & Exits
- 20+: Physicality, vertical, ground-game superiority
- Analytical, problem-solver.